Register    Login    Search    FAQ   Portal   Calendar 

Welcome
Welcome to customcbradios

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: Bulldog's Hi-Fi Audio On The Cobra 29 LX LE!
PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:33 am 

Well i have begun getting into the hi-fi audio for cb radios. Using a Behringer Xenyx 802 Pre-amp & 3 band EQ, Radio Shack Super-Cardioid Vocal Microphone with gooseneck & acoustic foam cover and a stock Cobra microphone modified to key the rig up on the edge of the table. DX Land seems to take a liking on my audio. This is a start for me and now I am looking for a processor to colorize the audio a little more. The Cobra 29 LX LE is reaching new levels here in central Maine. When DX rolls in normally you can catch me on channel 28!

Bulldog's Hi-Fi Audio On The Cobra 29 LX LE!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKXyKT0O_XM

Post subject: Re: Bulldog's Hi-Fi Audio On The Cobra 29 LX LE!
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:49 pm 

I got everything set up and running!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:05 pm 

Here is a videogate of a Galaxy DX 959 receiving my Cobra 29 LX LE - RFX Edition. I got the hi-fi audio going on using a Radio Shack #33-128 Super-Cardioid Vocal Microphone that goes for $40.00, Behringer Xenyx 802 premium 8-input, 2-bus mixer, 2-Xenyx mic preamp & british 3 band EQ's that goes for $60.00. Modified a stock Cobra microphone with an audio patch cord soldered to PPT switch. The flow of audio starts with the microphone, into the mixer. From there I shape the sound and it is sent from the Behringer the Cobra stock microphone. The stock microphone is fastened under the of the table. With my finger on the table I can easily key it up with my thumb. This radio is rocking with very clear, smoothing sounding audio! My girlfriend Coutny Girl is using the 29 LX LE/Hi-Fi. You will have to excuse her. She just woke up from a Sunday afternoon nap. In the end he is awake for sure. Hope this makes you think about going forward in better audio...Bulldog

Cobra 29 LX LE Doing Hi-Fi Audio!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7Q0PnyMRfU

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:22 pm 

A special thanks goes out to Doug for getting me started! You to can get started today and your budget doesn't have to be big. Now the microphone I chose came from my local Radio Shack. The specifications were attractive and the price was right. Very nice looking microphone.

Radio Shack Super-Cardioid Vocal Microphone
Product Number: 33-128
Cost $39.95

* Dynamic element with super-cardioid pickup pattern to reduce background noise, distortion and feedback.
* Wide frequency response for optimum voice clarity.
* Strenghtened mesh grill can stand up to the rigors of everyday use and helps prevent unwanted wind noise.
* Engineered with a fine neodymium magnet and dual-dome diaphragm.
* Built-in on/off switch.
* Includes a 20ft. mic cable and mic. holder.
* Frequency response: 50-16,000Hz.
* Impedance 300 ohms +/-30%
* Sensitivity -74db +/-3db

The Cobra 29 LE LX with the RFX-75 upgrade that Doug built for me accepted the new audio upgrade very well. I am very pleased with the sound quality on this level. I am able to get more useable modulation this way and the radio can be heard better in the distance. Once again, thanks Doug for the Behringer Xenyx 802. Remember if you don't see what you want on his business web site give him a call.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:15 pm 

LIKE!

2 Division World Radio 778

Youtube-778craig

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:46 am 

Very nice Bulldog! Thank you for putting forth the effort making us a very nice video-gate. It would be nice to hear your voice on the new setup too but thanks for what you have done so far.

Connie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:04 am 

X-2 What Connie said. Thanks Connie real nice wording. ;) ...Jim

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:09 am 

I had somebody bring up that the two power supplies wired in parallel. The larger one is just doing the work. In order for this to benefit I must have two of the same amperage output. Well on the Cobra 29 LX LE I can get buy with a 10 amp but it is my goal to have 20 amps so looks like I'll be purchasing another PS-12KX. With the space on my desk for me it would work out better with 2 - Pyramid PS-12KX stacked vs on new 20 amp. I am still dialing in the tone and preferred gain. It is pretty neat how a tweak of the low - 80Hz, mid - 2.5KHz and 12Khz effects my vocals. This set up supplies better drives the 29 with RFX-75. The Behriinger does not take up much space. Matches with todays electronics and Doug is the man that can get you one. For about $60.00 for the mixer. Then a microphone depending on your choice $$$. I had to get a XLR male - XLR female microphone cord so I can utilize the preamp which was $25.00, cb microphone extention cord I already had, gooseneck and acoustic foam cover I had also. So for about $175 +/- you will have a very nice audio set up. If you are a sideband operator this will be awesome!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:26 am 

It takes a lot more than having two of the same power supplies in order to run them in parallel. First off, if the power supplies are not designed for parallel use you will need to modify them so they share the load equally. If not, one supply will try to handle the entire load. The result will be high current being dumped into the other supply, and failure of that supply - and possibly your equipment. It's not a matter of "if", it's a matter of "when" because it will happen sooner or later. Astron makes some supplies that are designed for parallel use, but they are not cheap. IMO you would be much better off getting a single power supply that can handle your needs. Before trying to parallel supplies I suggest you do a search on the subject and familiarize yourself with the problems you will need to overcome.

And keep on thinking free
~The Moody Blues

WR0220
CPI • Cobra • Icom • Yaesu

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:53 pm 

Thanks for the information's WR0220. I will take the simple approach and upgrade with a better single power supply.

Board index » Enhanced AM / SSB